• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Thanks for listing all the driving tests. Too bad that it mainly tested the Macan turbo and hardly the Macan 4. Only 'Out of Specs' and 'Edmunds' pay sufficient attention to the 4. Because I have a 4 on order, I would have liked more information about it.

It also doesn't help that a Dutch journalist remarks in the report he wrote of the driving test that the 4 "doesn't really give a Porsche feeling" and "it just lacks the sharpness and depth we had hoped for".

In the driving test itself here below he talks with a sour face about remote steering, not sparkling and not really what you expect from a Porsche. But in the end: for € 88K you can get a SUV with real Porsche genes 😬

A more extensive driving test of the 4 is more then welcome.
I agree on the dearth of reviews of the 4. However, the SavageGeese review talked a lot about the suspension, steering and overall feel, which had nothing to do with the power of the turbo. I would take the reviewer you mentioned with a grain of salt.

Bennie

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST RWD, MINI Cooper S, Harley Davidson FLDE
Country flag
I agree on the dearth of reviews of the 4. However, the SavageGeese review talked a lot about the suspension, steering and overall feel, which had nothing to do with the power of the turbo. I would take the reviewer you mentioned with a grain of salt.
I agree with you, it's just one opinion. Still, I saw that there are differences between the 4 and the turbo. The weight distribution is 50-50 compared to 48-52 with the turbo. The heavier engine is also mounted on the chassis with the turbo and on the subframe with the 4. That gives a different feeling in the tail, I think. I also saw that the air suspension differs between the turbo and the 4. Maybe that is noticeable too. It won't be a world of difference, but there will be nuances.

Rear axle steering was not yet on my list, but is highly recommended in all reviews. The dealer said there will be a preview of the car at the end of May, but you can't take a test drive yet. The order will be locked in the middle of June. This will be the first time I buy a car that I haven't tried yet...

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
The turbo is significantly crazier than the 4, so I suspect the latter is the detuned form of a yet-to-follow model in between. (Although the price difference is pretty narrow.) That upcoming model (whether it's an S or GTS) will presumably use the same drivetrain/suspension etc. so I'm really skeptical that the 4 is that much worse than the turbo dynamics-wise.

I can't find weight ratings, but I really doubt that ~100lbs (at most) weight difference between the 2 rear motors could have a large impact on the handling of a ~4000lbs+ CUV. (The Taycan weighs 5k lbs.) That is, if indeed there is a difference in behavior, it's probably software-tuned in the name of 'differentiation'.

Regarding rear-axle steering; I didn't consider it for a second on my Taycan, thinking that it can't possibly drive worse than my ICE Macan (which I rather like in this regard). However, I failed to realize the Taycan is much longer than the Macan, and so in some conditions it shows - one needs to be patient with turning around sharp corners or tight spaces. I don't have a problem with U-turns, and the others are infrequent situations - I'd make the same choice again, albeit an informed one this time. However, note that the EV Macan is now almost a match for the Taycan in wheelbase, turning radius etc. So if you have or wished for RAS on your Taycan, you may want to spec it on your next.

Lastly, regarding buying cars sight unseen: if it makes you feel better, I had not even sat in a Taycan before I bought mine, and drove it home ~1500 miles. Worked out well enough (that, too, is something I'd do again).

Macan EV 2024 Macan EV Reviews (Articles & Videos)! macanscomparo

(edit to attach file, pasting an image from clipboard doesn't work)

Bennie

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST RWD, MINI Cooper S, Harley Davidson FLDE
Country flag
The turbo is significantly crazier than the 4, so I suspect the latter is the detuned form of a yet-to-follow model in between. (Although the price difference is pretty narrow.) That upcoming model (whether it's an S or GTS) will presumably use the same drivetrain/suspension etc. so I'm really skeptical that the 4 is that much worse than the turbo dynamics-wise.

I can't find weight ratings, but I really doubt that ~100lbs (at most) weight difference between the 2 rear motors could have a large impact on the handling of a ~4000lbs+ CUV. (The Taycan weighs 5k lbs.) That is, if indeed there is a difference in behavior, it's probably software-tuned in the name of 'differentiation'.

Regarding rear-axle steering; I didn't consider it for a second on my Taycan, thinking that it can't possibly drive worse than my ICE Macan (which I rather like in this regard). However, I failed to realize the Taycan is much longer than the Macan, and so in some conditions it shows - one needs to be patient with turning around sharp corners or tight spaces. I don't have a problem with U-turns, and the others are infrequent situations - I'd make the same choice again, albeit an informed one this time. However, note that the EV Macan is now almost a match for the Taycan in wheelbase, turning radius etc. So if you have or wished for RAS on your Taycan, you may want to spec it on your next.

Lastly, regarding buying cars sight unseen: if it makes you feel better, I had not even sat in a Taycan before I bought mine, and drove it home ~1500 miles. Worked out well enough (that, too, is something I'd do again).

macanscomparo.png

(edit to attach file, pasting an image from clipboard doesn't work)
Thank you for your detailed response to my thoughts. You are right, there will indeed be at least one variant between the 4 and the turbo. I think Kyle says in his video that he previously drove a camouflaged model where Macan S was on display.

Today I received the magazine with the article I posted the review of. The journalist (with a reputation in the field of electric cars) writes: “With its extra muscles, the Macan turbo can be chased over the deserted mountain route just a little faster than the Macan 4. Easily and with less effort. But what is especially striking is that the Macan turbo does involve us in everything it does. Without sacrificing comfort, the chassis now has the sharpness we expect from Porsche, while the much more communicative steering ensures considerably more involvement. Everything seems to be right here, and not only in the Sport Plus driving mode, also in Sport and Normal the turbo has the most Porsche DNA. Remarkably, much of the hardware is the same in both versions. Apparently an important part of that DNA is in the bits and bytes."

With that last sentence, he probably hits the nail on the head. There will probably be a programmed difference between the turbo and the 4, which will be bridged between the two in the next model (S and/or GTS). There will be an adjustment in terms of software programming and a slightly heavier rear engine.

The hardware will hardly be different, it's all about the software. Waiting for that will be difficult for me. I have already agreed on a term and a trade-in amount for my Taycan. This is the risk of being at the forefront, I'm afraid…

nulled

First Name
Dimo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
French but you can translate. Nice to see some city driving in the 4 (including parking). It does look nice with 1 display.

OP
OP
tmrqs

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo Electric ordered!
Country flag
French but you can translate. Nice to see some city driving in the 4 (including parking). It does look nice with 1 display.
Thanks, added to the first post!
Gives a good view of the 20” wheels too.

Sideline

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 981 Cayman S
Country flag
Nothing particularly new here but this reviewer's somewhat frantic style (entertaining at times) does provide some additional images of the details:

Sideline

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 981 Cayman S
Country flag
This one has some nice shots of less frequently reviewed wheel and colour combinations (especially in the opening sequence). Otherwise, nothing new.

OP
OP
tmrqs

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Adding this one as well, more technical.

Fun TC Driving

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
iX M60, C8 Z06
Country flag
Sorry i missed it. TU! This is a great thread but I was traveling all last week and am now trying to catch up on all the videos. Thanks again.

Just found this new one by Sgcarmart:

SCOUBI22222

First Name
ARNAUD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
PORSCHE TAYCAN ST
Country flag
My dealer in France tells me that it will not be possible to go from 11kw AC to 22kw AC once the car has been delivered :(

OP
OP
tmrqs

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My dealer in France tells me that it will not be possible to go from 11kw AC to 22kw AC once the car has been delivered :(
Is such a change possible with the Taycan for instance?