• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Macan EV release delayed to 2024

hitmonlee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Macan GTS
Country flag
And yet a local dealer is asking $1000 deposit (refundable at least) to be on their Macan EV's waitlist, which apparently already has a few people on it.

What a crazy world we're living in ?

Reactions: B61

ThePaddyWan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Polestar 2, Maverick
Country flag
And yet a local dealer is asking $1000 deposit (refundable at least) to be on their Macan EV's waitlist, which apparently already has a few people on it.

Yikes! $1K for a Macan?! I asked my dealer and they just added me to the list, no deposit required.

OP
OP
Kayone73

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag

Makes sense, a LOT of customers are waiting for this car, and it's no different from the order deposits many other manufacturers are taking just for customers to get in the queue, I have a $1k (refundable) deposit for a Rivian R1S and not expecting my number to come up for another 3 years at least which is ok for my timeline.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
But still…who knows what will be available in three years….

hitmonlee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Macan GTS
Country flag
Makes sense, a LOT of customers are waiting for this car, and it's no different from the order deposits many other manufacturers are taking just for customers to get in the queue, I have a $1k (refundable) deposit for a Rivian R1S and not expecting my number to come up for another 3 years at least which is ok for my timeline.
Well Rivian is different in the way that they have a direct-to-consumer model.

Our deposits are essentially interest-free loans. I know $1k is nothing in the grand scheme of things but they do add up. I'd be more ok giving Porsche a $1k loan than giving it to my local dealer, if that makes sense.

npx

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Porsche are idiots when it comes to software - the car itself is amazing.

for example...I press the car control quick icon on my center stack, and it takes a full 1-2 seconds to catch up and render the car icon before I can actually tap to change the ride height or drive mode. I can't just quickly go boom boom boom and have it respond quickly

that's an un-shippable amount of lag for UI in my line of work

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag

for example...I press the car control quick icon on my center stack, and it takes a full 1-2 seconds to catch up and render the car icon before I can actually tap to change the ride height or drive mode. I can't just quickly go boom boom boom and have it respond quickly

They are so proud that the PCM 6.0 runs as a docker host and all the apps are individual docker containers. They go on and on about it, as if thats a good thing in a front facing "thick client" UI device.

When in reality it just shows up the mess that is the individual apps and the lack of a unified OS and unified set of frameworks that each app can use. Instead of just having process isolation, they need to have entire OS isolations between the apps. And of course these PCM's never have enough memory or fast enough storage so this just causes enormous amounts of virtual memory swapping – which is why I suspect its slow. Its not that CPU constrained, its memory constrained and its running a ton of bloat.

npx

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
They are so proud that the PCM 6.0 runs as a docker host and all the apps are individual docker containers. They go on and on about it, as if thats a good thing in a front facing "thick client" UI device.

When in reality it just shows up the mess that is the individual apps and the lack of a unified OS and unified set of frameworks that each app can use. Instead of just having process isolation, they need to have entire OS isolations between the apps. And of course these PCM's never have enough memory or fast enough storage so this just causes enormous amounts of virtual memory swapping – which is why I suspect its slow. Its not that CPU constrained, its memory constrained and its running a ton of bloat.
yeah I mean, I like that it's a more modern implementation and not some ancient java based Blackberry OS, because the interface itself is quite smooth- but when swapping displays specifically, it gets slow which makes me agree it must be VM swap related. like they just need more fucking RAM...it's not that expensive to do.

npx

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Unless you have the "automotive mindset" where taking 75c out of the PCM base cost in a €200k car is seen as "worth doing" and "amazing".
Yeah, I'm in consumer electronics and some of the multi week validation tasks I get, in order to prove there's no regression to save 15 cents would blow people's minds.

obviously these margin saving things probably save their asses when prices go up and the margin gets eaten into, but at the end of the day, there's no replacement for giving yourself a cushion to do future proofing on the hardware side. given that my car is a 2020 though, I often wonder if it shipped like this or if the newer cars have better PCM hardware and mine is just slowed down by that, kind of like when you install iOS 15 on an iPhone 6s

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Newer cars definitely shipping with newer hardware – but its all so abstract to us end users – its actually difficult to know if its better or just different.

FWIW, while its hard to find info on this stuff – Audi publish a bit more (and its the same h/w) than Porsche do, if you do some searching.

npx

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Newer cars definitely shipping with newer hardware – but its all so abstract to us end users – its actually difficult to know if its better or just different.

FWIW, while its hard to find info on this stuff – Audi publish a bit more (and its the same h/w) than Porsche do, if you do some searching.
yeah weird. would hope they'd spend some time on optimization for the older cars if they're going to push software out to bring that parity. so I have hopes on this update.

MrJohnDolk

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+
Country flag

Sounds like you need the sport Chrono and the mode dial - that is shifting instantly!