• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Taycan vs Macan ?

BenJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi TT
Country flag
Hi everyone,

Now the new taycan have been released, I’m wondering if I should replace my Taycan to a Macan Turbo or a Macan Turbo.

But I have the feeling that the Macan is kinda the “poor//sister version of the Taycan”.

Do you know which feature the Macan don’t have and the Taycan 1.5 have? (And maybe the opposite?)

I’ve seen that there is no more 2 transmissions on the Macan but the Macan has the AR heads-up display… and I think that the displays are smaller on the Macan also.

what is your opinion?

JonoNZ

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW iX M60, Audi RS3, Porsche Macan Turbo PR1X9KR5
Country flag
I have waited for the FL Taycan, and fortunately the Macan EV was revealed just a few weeks earlier. I've decided to go Macan Turbo for a couple of reasons, none of them involve price. Overall it's a more practical vehicle for every day use, it feels more up-to-date, the PCM is new the version based on ARM and Android Automotive, in the refresh Taycan PCM it's basically already end of life. The Macan Turbo is plenty fast I think, has more of the daily driver features I'll benefit from. The only downside, it doesn't look as special on the outside as a Taycan.

I actually don't like the look of the Taycan Turbo front-end, the other models look great, just not the Turbo front.

julianm

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
718 Boxster GTS 4.0, Polestar 2
Country flag
I’m wondering if I should replace my Taycan to a Macan Turbo or a Macan Turbo.
Assuming you mean Macan Turbo or updated Taycan Turbo 😆 — I'm still debating that myself.

They're almost certainly going to drive like very different vehicles. And my impression is that the cabin and luggage space will feel overall more usable in the Macan.

But if we're going to make checkbox comparisons, here are some high end fancy things you can get with a Taycan you can't spec into a Macan:
  • 2-speed transmission
  • Porsche Active Ride
  • Electrochromatic roof
  • Soft close doors
  • Leather-free Pepita wool interior
As for stuff you can get with a Macan:
  • Real trailer hitch
  • AC Power outlet in trunk
  • AAOS PCM
  • Interior ambient light bar communicates car modes

taycan4sl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Altough my deposit is with a Macan, I am also indecisive.

Agree the interior of the Taycan FL looks exactly the same as my current car and the exterior also has minimal changes.

But on the other hand, the other factor that could be considered vanity is the rarity of the Taycan.

Although not as rare as in 2020, I still see only a handful a day, if that. The Macan seems to be everywhere and not sure if the EV model will distinguish it enough.

Bennie

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST RWD, MINI Cooper S, Harley Davidson FLDE
Country flag
Assuming you mean Macan Turbo or updated Taycan Turbo 😆 — I'm still debating that myself.

They're almost certainly going to drive like very different vehicles. And my impression is that the cabin and luggage space will feel overall more usable in the Macan.

But if we're going to make checkbox comparisons, here are some high end fancy things you can get with a Taycan you can't spec into a Macan:
  • 2-speed transmission
  • Porsche Active Ride
  • Electrochromatic roof
  • Soft close doors
  • Real trailer hitch
  • AAOS PCM
You forget a real nice feature of the Macan: it has a sunroof that really can be opened. My sunroof on the Taycan is nice and huge, but always ‘closed’. In my previous Macan I had the sunroof as an option and I remember the front panel that could be opened was so big that it gave you a kind of cabrio feeling. From the looks, the current sunroof is as big as before. For me a important reason to choose for the Macan.

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
I have waited for the FL Taycan, and fortunately the Macan EV was revealed just a few weeks earlier. I've decided to go Macan Turbo for a couple of reasons, none of them involve price. Overall it's a more practical vehicle for every day use, it feels more up-to-date, the PCM is new the version based on ARM and Android Automotive, in the refresh Taycan PCM it's basically already end of life. The Macan Turbo is plenty fast I think, has more of the daily driver features I'll benefit from. The only downside, it doesn't look as special on the outside as a Taycan.

I actually don't like the look of the Taycan Turbo front-end, the other models look great, just not the Turbo front.
Macan 4 all the way and for me it’s all about the price. £30,000 saving. Woo Hoo. I am shallow.
Need the practicality too but if the Taycan was 30k cheaper I wouldn’t give a shit about the lack of practicality and it’s a better, prettier car.

However I spend 99% of my time cruising or crawling in my Porsche and they look the same when you are sat inside so it’s a sacrifice I am prepared to make.

My mate at Porsche has taken 10 deposits for EV Macan and none for the new Taycan. The whole dealership is showing a similar pattern.

Unfortunately the Taycan is destined for continued calamitous depreciation so the Macan will be worth the same as the Taycan after 5 Years so it really is costing you 30k.

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
Altough my deposit is with a Macan, I am also indecisive.

Agree the interior of the Taycan FL looks exactly the same as my current car and the exterior also has minimal changes.

But on the other hand, the other factor that could be considered vanity is the rarity of the Taycan.

Although not as rare as in 2020, I still see only a handful a day, if that. The Macan seems to be everywhere and not sure if the EV model will distinguish it enough.
Not for me. I live near a posh private school and there are 25+ Taycans on the school run. Much fewer Macans despite there still being quite a few and it’s been out a decade.

Daniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4 CT ,Macan 4 ordered
Country flag
On November 20 I will leave my Taycan CT4 for a Macan 4, more suited to my use, less pretty but 19 cm shorter; this time I didn't forget to check the " rear wheel steering" box .

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 ST E-Hybrid; planned Taycan CT4
Country flag
You forget a real nice feature of the Macan: it has a sunroof that really can be opened. My sunroof on the Taycan is nice and huge, but always ‘closed’. In my previous Macan I had the sunroof as an option and I remember the front panel that could be opened was so big that it gave you a kind of cabrio feeling. From the looks, the current sunroof is as big as before. For me a important reason to choose for the Macan.
I prefer all-metal roofs first, and glass roofs that can't open second. I've never felt the need to open my glass in cars that have that, partly because I don't want crap coming into the cabin and partly because it just adds noise and no real benefit. But moving glass is just something more to break, and it introduces different kids of rubber seals that can and will leak.

As for differences between Macan 4 and the CT4 (my two shopped vehicles), you can get smaller wheels/tires in the CT4 (19-inch, vs. 20-inch minimum in the Macan 4), which is a plus for me because I want maximum range benefit.

Other things better in the Macan 4 than the CT4: (1) better ground clearance (important for most people who'd opt for the Macan, I would think); (2) can get heated windshield (a marvel that I will always spec); (3) and the option of manual charge-port door (I keep hearing about Taycan powered charge-port doors sticking and either not opening or not closing). And, of course, the Macan 4 is much cheaper not only to buy than the CT4, but much cheaper to maintain (i.e., insurance, annual taxes). Many people bemoan the huge depreciation of these vehicles, but for me the bigger deal is the much-higher insurance and annual taxes once you go well over $100k USD in MSRP.

For me, these things are better in the CT4 than the Macan 4: (1) much better exterior looks; (2) can get infrared night-vision camera; (3) can get 19-inch wheels; (4) can option the electrochromic glass mentioned above; (5) probably considerably longer driving range by as much as 100 miles (due presumably to aerodynamics and slightly larger battery, as per Kyle Conner testing); (6) fixed rear spoiler at top of rear glass. As for the rear spoiler, I wish that Porsche had retained the fixed rear spoiler of the ICE Macan, as it looks much more attractive, and the retracting/deploying rear spoiler at the bottom of the rear glass not only looks ugly but is something that can and will break (as I know from being a multiple-Panamera owner). I find it amusing that people are obsessing over the "ugliness" of the rear wiper, which will hardly be noticeable from a distance, vs. the entire ugly rear end of the Macan Electric that includes this absurd moving spoiler below the rear window.

I don't understand why you can get the heated windshield in the Macan and not the Taycan, and I don't understand why you can't get the infrared camera in the Macan.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag

• 2-speed transmission
  • Porsche Active Ride
  • Electrochromatic roof
  • Soft close doors
  • Real trailer hitch
  • AAOS PCM
I like this list - but I don't consider the 2-speed transmission to be a "feature" more of a bug but that's my bias…

softclose doors on Taycan? hmmm - have to review the configurator again I've not seen that.

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
The Macan 20 wheels are narrower at the front and fractionally wider at the rear than Taycan 19s
so they look better with practically no difference to efficiency. So doesnt matter 19s not available.

All the stats and tests so far show the Macan with a marginally better range.
Lets call it the same, and the bigger battery is extra on a Taycan.

Remote preheating will always unfreeze the windscreen so additional heating is pointless.

Being able to spec ridiculously overpriced extras with marginal benefits is not a Taycan benefit to me. (Soft close, fancy roof, night vision, flux capacitor)

In the Mac 4 - Standard Manual charge flaps and Lange Change assist a bonus.
Being able to have roof rails for a fraction of the price (£269) and no mandatory glass roof also a bonus. (£1749 for roof rails in a Taycan Turismo)
Shame Auto dim mirrors extra but I can live with that.