• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Wiper vs. thermal glass

shawn

First Name
shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan, Model Y, Model 3, XC 40
Country flag
For those who are trying to option an M4 you will notice that you cannot have both a rear wiper and the thermal insulated glass option. So what to choose?. My Model Y of course had no rear wiper and did not miss it yet the volvo XC40 recharge should really have it as it does....so....to pick the wiper or the thermal glass that is the question? One note is the the thermal insulated glass option seems to add tinting but on the North American cars as far as i can tell already has rear tinting on the rear passenger glass and tinted rear glass...so will that option make it even more tinted? Anyway, so fine detail here.... but trying to option out mine and looking for impressions (maybe from gas powered Macan owners having a wiper, etc or if some folks have optioned the thermal insulated glass in the past and if they like it for noise cancelation and cabin comfort over say going with standard and having a rear wiper?) Thanks

Last edited:

SCOUBI22222

First Name
ARNAUD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
PORSCHE TAYCAN ST
Country flag
I have the same question, although on the TAYCAN, the windshield wiper and tinted windows are possible together

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo Electric ordered!
Country flag
On my previous Mach-e, with the rear window at a similar angle as the Macan, the rear wiper was very useful in snow weather and heavy rain.
Meaning I barely used it most of the year but on a few occasions, I was really glad I had it.

For this reason, I spec’ed the rear wiper.

Fun TC Driving

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
iX M60, C8 Z06
Country flag
Getting the wiper is a good idea for many (perhaps most) but for those adding in appearance and range (IMO the wiper would increase drag), and the consideration that the thermal & acoustical option is not allowed with the wiper, there of course is the no wiper choice..

I have chosen not to purchase the wiper and due to the latter three above factors, though to address rear window visibility, I will be using RainX periodically instead as my option.

Here’s a video with the summary performance print out.

I am looking forward to reading others’ subsequent posts too.

Macan EV Wiper vs. thermal glass IMG_6150

Fun TC Driving

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
iX M60, C8 Z06
Country flag
Bought some RainX yesterday. Still in wet spring here (live in the Pacific Northwest) so I will try it for at least the next month on the rear window of our SVV to help me make our decision. I see that Porsche on their demonstrators they are shipping to dealers for their customer presentation events located in this area that 100% have a rear wiper on it.

Last edited:

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Bought some RainX yesterday. Still in wet spring here (live in the Pacific Northwest) so I will try it for at least the next month on the rear window of our SVV to help me make our decision. I see that Porsche on their demonstrators they are shipping to dealers for their customer presentation events located in this area that 100% have a rear wiper on it.
Curious to read your take on it after a few weeks. Also noticed all the demo cars have wipers - unfortunately think it’s a must have.

Fun TC Driving

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
iX M60, C8 Z06
Country flag
Coming from a current BMW ix M60 which despite +350 pounds weight and lower CD than the Macan, and it having 610 HP and 830 TQ (0-60 in 3.2 seconds), it got us 350 miles range on our last trip — on a day that was only 57 degrees. It is a range monster in the best way. But when its lease ends a Macan turbo will replace it. We are a little concerned about the Macan’s range. We think it will do just above 300 miles real U.S. range (that would be fine) but how much will the swirling of air coming of the Macan’s back glass hitting the wiper reduce that? Just asking for other than Porsche, none of us now have a clue. we would also like to get the thermal and acoustical glass.

Fortunately, we can learn from all your first year 2025 Macan ownership experiences for we are getting a 2026 model and have time to make the little option decisions based on what we learn from you and additionally from the range tests from the four EV range testers we trust.

While we wish we are getting a 2025 Macan, there is an upside to our waiting another year.

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Coming from a current BMW ix M60 which despite +350 pounds weight and lower CD than the Macan, and it having 610 HP and 830 TQ (0-60 in 3.2 seconds), it got us 350 miles range on our last trip.
Thought the BMW iX M60 had a 0.26 DC - which is lower than the ICE Macan (0.35) but higher than the electric version (0.25).

Of course different set of wheels will impact that but out the gate, seems the Macan is marginally better DC-wise.

2026 gives you tons of time and the MY26 Macan will most probably be improved over the MY24. Will report back for sure on my experience.