• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

andb

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera TS
Country flag
Now Porsche should explain to us why they went for 1 speed gearbox and ditched the 2 speed.
The development was finished 2-3 years ago probably so not too far from the Taycan's development.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Now Porsche should explain to us why they went for 1 speed gearbox and ditched the 2 speed.
The development was finished 2-3 years ago probably so not too far from the Taycan's development.
If you remember Rimac looked at having a two speed gearbox in their Nevera car. They then delayed the cars introduction and developed the car without that 2 speed gearbox. And that was in 2020. Porsche has huge development cooperation with Rimac and own part of it.

https://insideevs.com/features/436049/rimac-two-speed-gearbox-stupid-video/

check at 10 minutes into the video!

andb

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera TS
Country flag
Thanks for the article, it makes a lot of sense because Rimac developed their motors not outsourced a weaker motor from a supplier.
In 2020 Porsche also needed to beat the Model S 0-60 but because Taycan was heavier they had to use a shorter 1st gear to extract more torque. If the battery or motors could've deliver more power they would have ditched the shorter gear.
However Porsche will never admit that there was a power deficiency in the first Taycan power train.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 + Mini Electric in 2024/5
Country flag
Wonder if that HUD is the next gen with more AR/VR capabilities and a larger projected screen image - someone posted some early dev pics I think somewhere on the forum, can't recall where.

Donar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Sport Turismo ‘22
Easy to explain for them. Overall it’s just better - it’s for a reason that other manufacturers don’t use it.

For me the 2 speed is the biggest downside of the Taycan also (the only thing I really dislike). Especially in everyday use it’s annoying the moment I take my foot of the break paddle when I almost fully stopped, but need to accelerate again - just same moment as the Taycan shifts down. Its even worse than in a good ICE. Only when driving it really sporty I like the up shifting, adds a bit of old skool ICE feelings.

MAPC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2023.5 Defender, 2019 X1
Country flag
My Macan GTS was one of my favorite cars ever---I currently have my Taycan and a Defender 90. If I decide to go back to 'one car', then the new Macan EV may be the solution.....but for now, LOVING my 'four door sports car' and my 'truck'. :)

BEFORE- Macan GTS (daily driver) and 997 C4S (play car)
NOW- Defender 90 ('truck') Taycan 4S ('practical' play car)

And, FWIW, the only thing I miss about trading my 911 for a Taycan is not having a car with a manual transmission....otherwise the Taycan performs in as much of a 'sports car vibe' that I need.

:)

Vercingetorix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Easy to explain for them. Overall it’s just better - it’s for a reason that other manufacturers don’t use it.

For me the 2 speed is the biggest downside of the Taycan also (the only thing I really dislike). Especially in everyday use it’s annoying the moment I take my foot of the break paddle when I almost fully stopped, but need to accelerate again - just same moment as the Taycan shifts down. Its even worse than in a good ICE. Only when driving it really sporty I like the up shifting, adds a bit of old skool ICE feelings.
Lotus is now using a 2 speed gearbox on the Eletre.

Leawood CT

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT
Country flag
Biggest. HUD. ever.

I note that it has Michelin tires. That is nice to see! Love me some Michelins. Hopefully this means that Michelin will be developing more Porsche spec EV tires.

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Still not sure about the split headlights, not a huge fan of that design choice.
The top ones are maybe only DRL? And the real head lights the owner ones ?

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Biggest. HUD. ever.

I note that it has Michelin tires. That is nice to see! Love me some Michelins. Hopefully this means that Michelin will be developing more Porsche spec EV tires.
I was looking at my pictures but I am not sure the are specific EV tires for less noise and beter economy

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
While charging at IONITY Merklingen I saw a Merc G charging, EQG prototype?. Green Austrian plates so probably full electric. In Galtur I also saw another camouflaged Mercedes sedan / coupe not charging, didn’t have a closer look. Never saw so many prototypes in one week.

View attachment 63490

TXSchnee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Cayenne E Hybrid, ‘23 Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
The top ones are maybe only DRL? And the real head lights the owner ones ?
Yes the top ones are DRL/turn signal only, lower lights the actual headlights. Very similar to the BMW 7 Series and X7, and I am not a fan.

agurkas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 CT4S, Volvo XC90, BMW X3
While charging at IONITY Merklingen I saw a Merc G charging, EQG prototype?. Green Austrian plates so probably full electric. In Galtur I also saw another camouflaged Mercedes sedan / coupe not charging, didn’t have a closer look. Never saw so many prototypes in one week.

View attachment 63490
So instead of ICE with 0.6ish drag coefficient it is EV with a range of golf cart? This has to be a one-off. Someone crazy enough did a conversion.