• Welcome to MacanEVowners! If you're joining us from Taycanforum.com, then you may already have an account here.

If you were registered on Taycanforum as of January 24, 2024 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password

If you wish, you can remove your account here.

Rear Wiper or not…

Bennie

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST RWD, MINI Cooper S, Harley Davidson FLDE
Country flag
Although only a small detail, I have doubts in my configuration about the rear wiper. Without a wiper the rear looks much better, I think. But is this practical? Every time I use it the wiper on my Taycan ST makes a scratching sound on the rear window, actually already after a few months. That won’t be not much better with the Macan, I guess. I read about products like RainX with which you can treat the window so that the raindrops slide off. Does anyone have experience with this and what is your opinion: to wipe or not?

PorscheManiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW I3 - Porsche Cayenne Turbo - BMW 320d
Country flag
For me is a “No”…looks ugly and not needed because the rear window inclination will have a lot aerodynamic support to maintain it cleaned !
you only need a rear wipe when the rear window is more vertical like in a Tradicional wagon or SUV. In the new Macan is useless …almost !

Ross

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS - Audi Etron
Country flag
+1 No wiper
Rainex good.
if it’s covered in snow, wipe it of before you get in.
No launch cars had the wiper. Porsche thinks it’s FUGLY too.

tmrqs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan Turbo Electric ordered!
Country flag
Coming from a Mach-e, with the rear window at a similar angle, I will be getting the rear wiper.

I agree it doesn’t look the prettiest but I do use the rear wiper more than occasionally. And it seems current Macan owners also think it’s needed.

OP
OP
Bennie

Bennie

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Coming from a Mach-e, with the rear window at a similar angle, I will be getting the rear wiper.

I agree it doesn’t look the prettiest but I do use the rear wiper more than occasionally. And it seems current Macan owners also think it’s needed.
Perhaps you’re right. I have time before my order is permanent to try out RainX on my Taycan. It does have a spoiler and the Macan doesn’t but them I can try if this works. Otherwise maybe an ugly wiper 😬

julianm

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
718 Boxster GTS 4.0, Polestar 2
Country flag
Unfortunately can’t get it with the thermal / noise glass!

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 ST E-Hybrid; planned Taycan CT4
Country flag
One of the biggest complaints about the Ioniq 5 is the lack of a rear wiper. My sister owns one, and I've been monitoring Ioniq 5 forums for a couple of years. It makes the rear window very difficult to see out of in rain or snow, or due to crap on dirty roads that hits your back windshield due to wet/dirty roads. It was such a huge outcry over a couple of years that Hyundai has just announced that all 2025 versions will have the rear wiper standard.

You can order a rear wiper on a 911, for a reason. I wouldn't get hung up on "looks" of having a rear wiper or not. For me it's a no-brainer, and if I ever order a 911, it'll have a rear wiper.

OP
OP
Bennie

Bennie

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
One of the biggest complaints about the Ioniq 5 is the lack of a rear wiper. My sister owns one, and I've been monitoring Ioniq 5 forums for a couple of years. It makes the rear window very difficult to see out of in rain or snow, or due to crap on dirty roads that hits your back windshield due to wet/dirty roads. It was such a huge outcry over a couple of years that Hyundai has just announced that all 2025 versions will have the rear wiper standard.

You can order a rear wiper on a 911, for a reason. I wouldn't get hung up on "looks" of having a rear wiper or not. For me it's a no-brainer, and if I ever order a 911, it'll have a rear wiper.
Thanks, certainly helpful. The Dutch weather gives every reason for a wiper, if I’m honest. I tend to go for the looks, but it’s probably better to go for practicality…

Daniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4 CT ,Macan 4 ordered
Country flag
No rear wiper in my configuration, rarely used with my CT4 , sunny weather most of the time in the south of France ;)

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T (EV upgrade a tempter!)
Country flag
+1 No wiper
Rainex good.
if it’s covered in snow, wipe it of before you get in.
No launch cars had the wiper. Porsche thinks it’s FUGLY too.
Rainex was pretty useless on my Taycan - I may apply again but feels like a materials issue IMHO.

It would help if Porsche designed their rear wipers to be concealed - always an afterthought - Mr Blume, if listening / reading, please consider this for future models. Many folk will have issues without a wiper particularly if they never leave the city or get up enough forward speed for an "aero" effect to be of use.

Not something that could be easily / reliably retro-fitted either and so we have an instant dilemma on the 2nd hand market. This is not a 911 scenario where most don't have a rear wiper but then most don't get driven at 20 mph around cities / suburbs.

OP
OP
Bennie

Bennie

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Rainex was pretty useless on my Taycan - I may apply again but feels like a materials issue IMHO.

It would help if Porsche designed their rear wipers to be concealed - always an afterthought - Mr Blume, if listening / reading, please consider this for future models. Many folk will have issues without a wiper particularly if they never leave the city or get up enough forward speed for an "aero" effect to be of use.

Not something that could be easily / reliably retro-fitted either and so we have an instant dilemma on the 2nd hand market. This is not a 911 scenario where most don't have a rear wiper but then most don't get driven at 20 mph around cities / suburbs.
Thanks Adrian, the last push for my definitive choice: I‘m going to choose for the wiper. On the Taycan you could spec a high gloss painted one. ‘Paint it black’ 😉 will be the best aftermarket compromise.

Yves

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW iX / Audi Q7
Country flag
Just order it with rear wiper and remove it … 3D print a small camo for the connection, if it’s bad weather you can quickly reinstall, it’s been raining here for almost 6 month‘s … so it’s needed …

OP
OP
Bennie

Bennie

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
A nice out of the box solution Yves. We agree on the need of the wiper, indeed 6 months… However, I’m not that technical 😬 Perhaps a good idea for someone who is and who wants to share this in the near future?